If you find yourself in a situation where an oral emergency has arisen, it is important to remain calm and use treatment methods at your disposal. Often the small amount of care you give your smile after an oral emergency is a huge component of an ultimately successful recovery. Listed below are tips for treating oral emergencies:
– If you suffer a bitten lip or tongue, wash your mouth out with water to keep the wound sanitized and apply gauze until the bleeding stops. If you severely bite your lip and tongue, you may need to see a doctor for stitches.
– If you crack or fracture a tooth, clean the area around the tooth so it is bacteria-free and clear of debris and use gauze on the wound to slow the bleeding until it stops.
– If you have lost a filling, use a piece of chewing gum or dental cement to place over the area until you get treatment. If you have lost a dental crown, place over the area a cotton swab preferably coated in clove oil.
– If you have an object stuck in your mouth, try using an interdental cleaner such as dental floss to remove the object. Never use sharp objects to try and free them.
– If a tooth becomes dislodged or falls out, it may be possible to save it by placing it in milk or an approved tooth-saving product such as Save-A-Tooth, until a trip to your dentist to allow them to set it properly into place is set in motion.
If you would like to discuss oral health care options with Dr. Youssef Saad and the rest of our team here at Pearl Smile Dental, please schedule an appointment to come see us at our dentist office in Fort Worth, Texas. Our number is 817-921-3400. We look forward to helping you decide which options will work best in your quest for a whiter smile.